Subject: [Leica] Golden Trout Wilderness
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Tue Jun 5 10:55:17 2007

Tina,

Just be careful. At the age of 69 I would not climb to 12,000 feet.
And I'm in pretty good shape. When I was in the service in the early
60's I was stationed in San Bernardino. One early July day two of my
friends and I decided to climb San Gorgonio Mt. It's the tallest
mountain in Southern California at 11,500 feet. We were able to park
the car at about the 7,000 foot point and hike the rest of the way.
The temperature was about 80 degrees when we started. We were all in
our early to mid 20's and probably in the best shape in our life. A
piece of cake to go the remaining 4,500 feet. Wrong. We sped up the
mt to about 11,000 feet with no problem. Then we practically hit a
brick wall. We were walking in about a foot of corn snow and every
step was painful and slow.  We eventually turned around about 250
feet from the top. We had it. And no pack on our backs. The
temperature was not too bad, maybe around 45 to 50 degrees. But the
lack of oxygen was a killer.

I would doubt you will spend a lot of time at the 12,000 foot peak,
but if you do good luck.

Len