Subject: [Leica] LEICA IIIF - I NEED SOME HELP
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Tue Jun 5 17:26:56 2007

I've had this exact problem with my IIIF.  I will bet that you shot
these at 1/1000 sec or close to it.  What happened is that the edges of
the shutter curtains become frayed over time.  Maybe the rubber wears
off of the edge.  In any case there are threads on the edge of the
curtain.

Long term, the cure is new curtains.  I actually fixed mine by putting a
bit of white glue on my finger and rubbing it into the edge of the
curtain.  This glues the threads down.  I forget how I got the curtain
half open, but probably set it to "time" and turned the shutter speed
dial backwards.  Obviously don't use too much glue.

Probably most folks will tell you not to do this :)

Good luck!

Mike D

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] LEICA IIIF - I NEED SOME HELP)