Subject: [Leica] At eye level with dogs - OT
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Wed Jun 6 05:16:05 2007

Oh, they do get dumped. Often. Keeps folks like me busy.  I have a
frail, blind geriatric pulled from a shelter in WV...IMHO, there are
no old, blind 'strays'.  Or my other foster, abandoned in a shelter
drop pen just after whelping...I figure that the 'golden goose'
stopped producing little $300 AKC Basset puppies after 'turning
tricks' every season. She has about 0.5" ground clearance.  A big,
slow, squishy, plushy 70lb Love Bug. I have old Bassets, hopefully
one last home in dignity.  One must offset one's myriad bad habits
somehow.

Keep in mind that we are dealing with a very big dog on very short
legs that supports a big, highly sensitive nose.  Left to wander
fence/leashless, they get into mortal trouble as they become
oblivious to hazards like traffic whilst on a scent.

OTOH, I don't think I could muster a fraction of the effort to rescue
many humans from a pound or shelter.  Innate unconditional love,
inherent in canines,  is hopelessly berift among homo sapiens.

People own dogs. Bassets own people.

Charlie