Subject: Was RE: [Leica] M8 12000 feet and no oxygen - the Tibetan Experience Now M8 body casting damage
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Jun 6 20:19:56 2007

Jerry, I'm et al, not Tina. I presume that you mean the M8 incident reported
on the Leica User Forum?
You can read the thread without having a membership. However I think that
non-members may not be able to see the images.
<http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/25121-base-plate-failure.html>
The images make you feel a little ill if you treasure your Leica equipment.

>From the thread, the original poster reports:
The camera was a replacement for his first M8 which was faulty.
It was not dropped nor damaged to his knowledge previous to the failure and
the base plate was correctly latched
The camera was mounted on a tripod with quick release plate.
He has returned the camera to Leica (along with a lens to be matched for a
back focus issue to the new body and an order to buy
another lens).
Naturally there is a lot of opinion/discussion/speculation in the thread.
Sean Reid reports Leica as saying
It is the only instance reported to them
They are unable to replicate the problem.

Cheers
Hoppy