Subject: [Leica] 24 x 36mm ?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jun 7 16:25:32 2007

On 6/7/07 4:19 PM, "Lew" <lew1716@optonline.net> typed:

> I'm just off to my darkroom to confirm something that's been bothering me
> for
> a while. The standard 35mm full
> frame format is supposed to be 24 x 36mm or 1:1.5. This should mean that I
> can
> print full frame at 6x9", but
> (this is the part that's bugging me...) the images from my Leica negatives
> never quite fit an opening of this
> size on my easel. The only thing I can think of to explain this is that the
> Leica negs just aren't exactly
> 24x36mm.
> OCD acknowledged, other comments ...?
> -Lew

I've found very slight format differences with different 35mm cameras so
when printing with my 4 section full frame easel I have to make adjustments
if I'd used a different camera. And a real difference between Nikon and
Leica.
And I'm not talking any 24x34 stuff going on here.

The differences in square format or any way to cut up Brownie film (medium
format 120 or 220) is huge. From camera to camera and company to company.
You have to cut through the nuts its very difficult with a dull knife.

Everyone has their own ideas of things on formats.

Numbers are just nominal.

Nowadays "format" means "make disappear".

Mark Rabiner
Harlem, NY

markrabiner.com