Subject: [Leica] CMA Music Festival
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Jun 12 07:18:50 2007

Harrison,

>>I am glad I had my years in the biz when I did, cause that kind of
photography is rapidly disappearing to be replaced by "multi-media"<<

I'm not in the furniture or upholstery business, but I know people who
are. That business is changing leaps and bounds, too. The trend now is
even more quantity and low price. I went to a big furniture mart last
weekend. I just happen to live in what once was the furniture capital of
the US. Furniture design is interesting. This particular mart I went to
is huge, with dozens of manufacturers represented. You can't see
everything in one day and you'll never see two of the same thing.
Further, if you see something interesting you'd better mark it on a map
because chances are you'll never be able to find your way back to it.
That's how big the place is.

You can find every style of furniture imaginable. I never realized how
much variation there is in style. The piece I found most interesting was
a huge leather sectional in store that featured rustic and Old West
style. It was actually a hide sectional, because the leather had hair.
The arms and back were made from the horns of I assume longhorns. It was
surprisingly comfortable, but I kept thinking, who wants to lounge on a
dead Holstein! I guess if you're living in New Jersey and you really
miss Texas.....

In general all the furniture looks nice, but upon close inspection you
can see where the manufacturers are cutting corners. I went into a
couple of high end shops with furniture made locally....most furniture
is now made in China. The high end furniture was obviously more
expensive, but you could really see a difference in craftsmanship. Not
surprisingly these niche shops are doing quite well. Even better than
the low price shops.

There will always be a certain demand for high quality, regardless of
the product or service. Either way, though, business is tough.

DaveR