Subject: [Leica] IMG: Reading with Grandaddy
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Jun 13 18:41:25 2007

Len, Tina has now explained that this was with a 35 1.4 wide open. I agree
that it is a marvellous shot. I'm hypersensitive to focus
wide open as I am working at learning to manage my 50 in low light when
needed. I agree that there is fine detail resolved within
the little girl's hair for example. I think that this is because the lens is
well corrected and the focus is very close anyway. By
the way I see that as a huge endorsement for its Bo-ke performance,
whichever version 35 1.4 that Tina has.
Nevertheless I see some softness, which is not detrimental to the type of
picture. I don't think that we are seeing any "softness"
wide open, related to lens performance, especially not hand held(?) at a
30th and shown low resolution on-line. Just plain,
unforgiving miniscule DoF. I would estimate the very sharpest area to be
about level with grandpa's ear or the front edge of the
right chair wing.
Anyhoo just my viewpoint, not meant to be over-tech analysis. Just learning
from the posted pics.

Cheers
Hoppy