Subject: [Leica] 8 reel developing tank
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Jun 15 11:26:27 2007

At 10:44 AM -0700 6/15/07, H. Ball Arche wrote:
>Can any of my fellow mossbacks give a head's up on using one of
>these things? Any problems I should know about?
>
>   I've always gotten by using 2 & 4 reel tanks, but anymore its
>taking me two days to process a weekend's worth of film.
>
>   One thing I can see as a potential problem is the length of time
>it takes to fill the tank if it's loaded and capped - should I fill
>the tank w/ dev. first and then load the film?
>
>   Please, no SmartCard jokes.

I generally use a pre-soak with a bit of wetting agent, and the
8-reel tank is the reason I started (Nikor tank and reels). I had a
job in the early 70's where I shot 10-20 rolls a day, and I had to
develop and contact them.

With an 8 roll tank it's also important to have a development time
that's about 10 minutes or so, and that develops close to exhaustion.
A too active developer that needs only a short time is likely to lead
to streaking. A one-shot setup is best. I use Xtol 1:3; that allows
me to develop 7 rolls in an 8 roll tank.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design