Subject: [Leica] IMG: WayBack Week 25 (chimping)
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Wed Jun 20 18:58:19 2007

If I have the right stuff in remembering "The Right Stuff" and other
Project Mercury history, Ham the astrochimp was not popular among the
other astronauts. The humans thought him unworthy of his early flight
in the novice capsule.

Ham never got a shot at Gemini or Apollo like so many of the super
seven.

I don't know how it came to be, but Ham lived out his retirement and
senior years at the North Carolina Zoo, a new facility at the time
and innovative in terms of reasonably natural habitat.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/PAW+2007+and+1982/25ham.jpg.html>
<http://tinyurl.com/3aszzt>

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/