Subject: [Leica] Archival Qualities of Slide Films
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jun 21 13:10:27 2007

On 6/21/07 3:22 PM, "Tina Manley" <images@comporium.net> typed:

> At 03:12 PM 6/21/2007, you wrote:
>> Bad Choice:  When our first son was born, in 1955, I shot pictures
>> with Ektachrome because I thought it was a better
>> film                     than Kodachrome.  I am struggling to get
>> any kind of acceptable results from scans of these slides.
>>

>> Jim Nichols
>
> Jim - A Nikon LS5000 scanner with Digital ICE3 has a feature called
> ROC or Restoration of Color.  It does an unbelievably good job of
> restoring color to faded slides.  Here is the description:
>
> Digital ROC
> Digital ROC (Reconstruction of Color) reads the dye signature in the
> base layer of faded slides and negatives and rebuilds the original
> color values based on data that it gathers during scanning. The
> resulting image is true to the original. This process is far more
> accurate than post-scan software solutions that attempt to guess at
> the original colors and tones.
>
> This software is also available separately from Kodak:
> http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/software/imgEnhancePlugIn
> s/roc.jhtml?id=0.2.22.24.3.16.3&lc=en
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Tina

I wonder if it can read the distance inside the slide and recognize the dye
layers that way.
That would be nifty!

Then it goes "that poor magenta layer its just faded away why all that's
about left is the cyan layer like a beauty shop picture in a window! why
doing I just give the magenta and yellow layers a good shot in the arm!"
Or nuggie!

Then does so with complex fortified and enriched algorithms.

It must recognize the baloney layer from the mustard layer from the cheese
layer from the lettuce layer. And pickle but that's easy. Let along rye.

Did I mention mayo?

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com