Subject: [Leica] Archival Qualities of Slide Films
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu Jun 21 12:22:29 2007

At 03:12 PM 6/21/2007, you wrote:
>Bad Choice:  When our first son was born, in 1955, I shot pictures
>with Ektachrome because I thought it was a better
>film                     than Kodachrome.  I am struggling to get
>any kind of acceptable results from scans of these slides.
>

>Jim Nichols

Jim - A Nikon LS5000 scanner with Digital ICE3 has a feature called
ROC or Restoration of Color.  It does an unbelievably good job of
restoring color to faded slides.  Here is the description:

Digital ROC
Digital ROC (Reconstruction of Color) reads the dye signature in the
base layer of faded slides and negatives and rebuilds the original
color values based on data that it gathers during scanning. The
resulting image is true to the original. This process is far more
accurate than post-scan software solutions that attempt to guess at
the original colors and tones.

This software is also available separately from Kodak:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/software/imgEnhancePlugIns/roc.jhtml?id=0.2.22.24.3.16.3&lc=en

Hope this helps!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA