Subject: [Leica] Kayaking camera: demonstration of concept
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon Jul 2 23:00:20 2007

For some time now I've wanted to take a camera with me while kayaking.

Background: the kayak allows me much better access to the water side of
marshes, and when I'm in the kayak I don't look like a human and can get
much closer.

more background: As most of us know, kayaks are supposed to float on top of
the water, but there's always the possibility of turning turtle (flipping
over) or becoming a submarine (taking on too much water) so I've been
hesitant to carry something like the R8/DMR/280 APO combination in the kayak.

My solution: About a year ago I picked up from an ebay auction a Novoflex
400mm f/5.6 T-Noflexar very inexpensively, and on the camera end of this
lens I've fitted an very ugly but (thanks to DAG and UPS) very functional
Leicaflex SL.  Total cost of the rig is about US$375 including the SL,
Novoflex lens, its shoulder stock, and the LEA-R adapter for Leica-R.  I
won't be happy if it gets dunked, OTOH it's not like I'd have the repair
expense of the R8/DMR/280 APO if they got soaked.  On the DMR the Novoflex
has proven to be adequately sharp for a good 8x12 print.  Not APO-Telyt
sharp, but adequate.

The kayak is a fiberglass sea kayak, the Easy Rider Sea Hawk.  It has a
covered deck, a big open cockpit so I can get legs or camera in and out
easily, and is known as a 'dry' boat, i.e., water doesn't splash in easily.
I've found that I can keep the camera out of the kayak's bilge by balancing
it on my legs as I paddle, and far enough forward that it's out of the way
of errant splashes from the paddle.

The location I chose to test the rig is a marshy backwater off Lake Natoma,
a reservoir just west of Folsom California.  From put-in to the backwater
area there's a stretch of open water that can be crossed in fifteen minutes
or so and given the unpredictable nature of winds and of other boaters this
is probably the riskiest part of the test.  Once in the backwater area
there's very little boat traffic and the waters are sheltered from most
winds.

Among the wildlife I spotted during the test was a river otter, several
Mallard families, a Common Merganser family, and numerous landbirds.  Alos
spotted a Great Blue Heron and a Great Egret, but not the Green Heron, the
bird I was most interested in.

The Great Egret provided the best photo opportunities, but only after I
figured out what to do with the kayak were the pictures worth showing.  I
quickly found that photography while the kayak was in open water was
pointless: the kayak is always drifting with the current or breezes or both,
the birds are paddling a different direction, and I've got only a limited
range of motion while seated in the kayak's cockpit.  This plus the floation
vest interfering with the shoulder stock and keeping track of the paddle
while holding the camera ... clumsy and uncoordinated are the words that
come to mind.

I found the best way to use the kayak as a photo platform was to run the
boat onto soft mud, jamming it in place, and to wait for the egret to
approach as it fed, leaning my elbows on the lip of the cockpit for added
camera stability.  So without further words, the result:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/ardeidae/greg01.html

technical stuff: SL, Novoflex 400mm f/5.6 T-Noflexar, Kodak Portra 170 NC,
kayak.  All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com