Subject: E: [Leica] PHILOSOPHY AGAIN
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Fri Jul 13 08:50:46 2007

Quoth the Alan:

> Me too, and I consider the smells, etc. as part of the process of
> photography that I've loved since I first took it up, or should I say,
> it took me.  I would never want to be without a darkroom. Getting from
> taking the picture to final result is a journey, like riding a
> motorcycle - it's not just the destination, it's the trip.  I guess
> we're the equivalent of black powder enthusiasts.

I tell people... if you're just interested in photographs, go
digital.

If you're interested in photography, shoot film, preferably B&W, and
find a way to spend enough time in the darkroom doing your own work
to learn what's possible and what's involved.  After that, if you're
so inclined, you can outsource some of the "trained chimp" aspects of
the task, but I really think you need to do the whole process from
one end to the other for a while just so you get a feel for how it
all fits together.

Of course the digital artist photographers all disagree, and they get
much more sophisticated PS output than I... and that's certainly the
future.

But, hell, I'm a dinosaur destined for fairly short-term extinction
(in geologic terms, anyway) and it was never really so much about the
economics of it for me, so...

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com