Subject: [Leica] Medium Format and LF Musings
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Jul 13 14:06:48 2007

At 09:51 AM 7/13/2007, Wayne Torry wrote:
 >Is there something in the water or the air?
 >

 >While Kyle was adopting a Hasselblad, I stumbled into a deal for a 1953
 >Pacemaker Speed Graphic with Kodak Ektar and Voigtlander Collinear II
 >lenses. I was offered a Bronica at the same time but I declined. Perhaps
 >I should go back and look at the Bronica? Maybe not. I've been lusting
 >for a Hasselblad or Rollie 66 with the 80mm Planar lens since forever.
 >Last year was the Year of the Leica. This year seems to be the Year of
 >the BIG Negative. Does it ever end?

Well, you missed out on the REALLY good
Hasselblad deals:  prices fell and fell and fell
until around 2003 but have since eased up a
bit.  I have owned a 2000 FCM since the early
1990's but scored a 500CM and an SWC when prices
were at the bottom, a matter of pure luck and not
by any calculation on my part.

I do prefer Rolleiflex TLR's or Super Ikonta B's
for MF work but the Hasselblads are easy of use
and exceedingly capable cameras, well thought-out
and user-friendly provided you remember the
dark-slide and red-dot issues.  I generally use
the 2000 FCM for micro work with a bellows and
Luminars and Photars;  when I use it for more
conventional photography, I almost always use the
camera's shutter and not the lens's.  And I am
blown away by the SWC:  MF slides of autumn foliage are quite impressive.

I have not enjoyed having a dark room since
2002.  Our 18-month horror-move is now over and
may the words, "Marc James Small" and "U-Haul" be
used in the same sentence again!  I recently told
my wife that I was going to set up a temporary
dark room in the guest bathroom of our new house
(understand that the guest bedroom is unusable at
present due to all of the boxes stacked there),
and she immediately called a contractor about
replacing the small garden shed in our back yard
with a larger building which I could use as a
dark room.  It will be six months before this is
a reality, but we are making progress.

I have done very little LF work and I only own a
Baby Speed Graphic, currently boxed up somewhere,
probably in the guest bedroom, and I have never
used this other than in dry-firing exercizes,
though I did have it rebuilt by that fellow in
Nevada after I bought it at Bob Shell's sole
camera auction.  Stan Yoder has fussed at me for
not using this but until I get a darkroom back
and working, I will probably continue to allow it to sleep for a bit longer.

When I was first getting into photography, back
in the Longago, I dealt with folks who had
started with LF or sheet-film cameras, then moved
to MF and, finally, to miniature format
(35mm);  they griped about the loss of quality at
the reductions in format.  I started with a
Voigtl?nder Bessa (the REAL one, the folder) but
my serious work was miniature format for
decades.  By the time I shifted to MF around
1990, I was doing my own darkroom work, and the
first time I printed up some Rolleiflex
negatives, I was stunned by the sheer size and
felt that I had an image large enough to allow me
to dive in and swim around.  LF must be even more
liberating and I ought to seek out one of those
LF enlargers which are now going for only a ducat or two on eBay.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!