Subject: [Leica] IMG: Hoppy on Kangaroo Island part one
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jul 13 07:00:33 2007

LUG folk, I've recently returned from an enjoyable visit to Kangaroo Island
(KI). It is a large and unspoilt part wilderness island
to the south of the Australian mainland. An eco-tourism destination. I am
showing a series of photographs like a travelogue. All
Leica M7, mainly the lovely 28 asph and 50 asph. Velvia and Provia 100F.

The first installment starts here.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/c_001/KI+1.jpg.html>

Yankalilla is a picturesque rural district on the way to the vehicular ferry
to KI. We drove through early morning and were treated
to some marvellous rainbows. Unlike my home state, South Australia has had
good rain falls of late.

The ferry terminal in the town of Penneshaw on KI. The rock area is home to
Little Penguins.

Seal Bay is a national park area where visitors may enter the home of a
colony of Australian Sea-Lions under supervision to "observe
and not interact". Note the polished air, startlingly clear. Next land-fall
about 5500 km in that direction, Antarctica. A boardwalk
was constructed to allow spectacular views and entry to the beach area. The
dunes are littered with dozing seal lions basking in the
sun.

The headland at the edge of the tourist visitable area. Areas are reserved
exclusively for residents with flippers. Off shore is
also a preserve and incidentally home to a great deal of Great White Sharks
who consider Sea-lions to be rather yummy.  Locally we
sometimes call them noahs. Not a great place to snorkel in your wet suit.

Australian Sea-Lion ascending to the protected, warmer dune area. There are
around 12,000 total of this animal in the world, with
about 700 of those resident in this park.

Our very earnest National Parks and Wildlife Officer and dedicated escort
had to herd undisciplined humans through the colony. Only
a couple of groups each day are allowed entry. Visitors may not disturb nor
"interact" in theory with the natives. Some of those
residents can weigh 350 kg and object to overly familiar visitors. Mostly
they seem to regard humans with disdain, at least in
groups that they are used to seeing as non-threats. Our dedicated escort
explained in a very robust voice "YOU MUST NOT MAKE LOUD
NOISES OR SUDDEN MOVEMENTS!" The mother and pup here didn't seem to mind.
The animals are not fed, cared for, nor managed in any way
with the exception that animals entangled in human detritus such as plastic
or nets may be assisted, where possible.

Comments and criticisms are welcome as always.

Cheers

Hoppy

Replies: Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] IMG: Hoppy on Kangaroo Island part one)
Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] IMG: Hoppy on Kangaroo Island part one)