Subject: [Leica] Re: Canon f 1.2
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Jul 14 17:38:30 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 7:05 PM, Luis wrote:

> Today I've saw on a shop this lens, it was a nice one but my
> thoughts is
> that price was to expensive 400 Euro, and on the other hand, I have
> the
> Summilux 50, and 1,2 is not very much more than 1,4. IMO is better
> go for a
> Nocti.

The Canon 50 mm f 1.2 lens is quite good but I feel that 400 Euro is
too high a price. I've seen them on e-Bay for approximately 150 to
200 Euro. I've used mine sporadically for 40 years.  I can't really
compare it with a Noctilux since I've never used one but, within its
limitations, the Canon is more than satisfactory. Canon really
intended the lens to be standard equipment on the Canon 7 and it was
optimized for general photography rather than wide open performance.

Wide open, the lens is a bit soft, probably due to under corrected
spherical aberration. The images have a hard core surrounded by a
slight halo. This is not much of a problem in low light, high
contrast situations in which such ultra-fast lenses are often used.
It sharpens up nicely when stopped down. By f 4.0 it is almost as
sharp as a Summicron and than a 50s era f 3.5 Elmar. I have not
noticed any focus shift at different apertures as some have
attributed to the Nocti. Like all f1.2 or f 1.0 lenses, it is best
used on cameras with as large a focusing base length as possible. It
works perfectly on my M3, with a LTM to M adapter. The edge of the
lens is visible in the viewfinder but doesn't block more than a small
portion of the field

It is one of my favorite lenses for available grab shots at weddings
since the wide open softness makes every woman look beautiful. If you
want to give ultra-fast lens photography a try, the Canon f 1.2 is a
good entry point. But don't pay 400 Euro for it.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Re: Canon f 1.2)