Subject: [Leica] IMG: Hoppy on Kangaroo Island part three
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Jul 16 00:24:02 2007

Don, I've replied to folks off -list but I thought that it might be
worthwhile to post a couple of comments for general interest.
Quite a number of fine photographers have told me that they prefer the bw
versions which is no surprise. A couple said it very well
that it focuses on the form and texture.
Apart from trying to show a variety, I also looked to see if I thought that
the colour contributed anything in some specific pics. I
do like the grey granite and its attendant orange lichen with the sea and
sky blues or greys, in some. Your note about the colour
temperature made me think. These are quite cool toned in the colour
versions. Much more so than you might expect for around sunset.
As shown is quite accurate owing to the heavy cloud cover. A nice thing
about shooting great transparency film. I checked, these
ones were Provia 100F). No guessing about prints from a colour neg.
 In fact for the very first time I shot almost all with a good B+W UV
fitted, partly for lens protection from spray or blown grit.
In the event there was zero distance haze to contend with. I shall have a
play with warming some up, thanks.
Even in the clear skies one though you can see the intense blue. Because of
the location the air is extremely clean with no
detectable dust or pollutants whatsoever to my eye. Since much of the air
has moved over the Southern Ocean unimpeded from
Antarctica and there is almost zero industry on the island plus frequent
rain I guess that is so. Also the spot is fairly far south,
36 degrees in fact and all of the Remarkable Rocks photographs were made
within the last half hour of winter light.
Thanks again for your input.

Cheers
Hoppy