Subject: [Leica] IMG: PAWeek 28
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Tue Jul 17 07:33:45 2007

thanks for your kind and specific comments Hoppy. Not sure how the
talent is booked. Many of the acts have a french flavor. Many are
local talent. This particular Dance troupe "Jam Ak Jam" (meaning
Peace and Peace) has both a local tie and the drummers hail from
Senegal (fr.) according to Wiki: "Various European powers - Portugal,
the Netherlands, and England - competed for trade in the area from
the 15th century onward, until in 1677, France ended up in possession
of what had become an important slave trade departure point - the
infamous island of Gor?e next to modern Dakar. It was only in the
1850s that the French began to expand their foothold onto the
Senegalese mainland, at the expense of native kingdoms such as Waalo,
Cayor, Baol, and Jolof."

So there's your, not very pretty, French connection. ;~)

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Message from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] IMG: PAWeek 28)