Subject: [Leica] Re: Olympus vs. Leica
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jul 20 21:45:28 2007

Mark, if there are the same number of usable pixels then the resolution is
the same. But when you pack the same number of little
photo bucket thingies into a smaller area, then they need to be smaller,
which tends to make for more signal noise. But there is a
great deal of processing going on after those little buckets fill up with
photons. Various camera /sensor makers have different
approaches on how much processing is going on. He who has the best
algorithms wins!
It ain't the size, it's what you do with it.
Four thirds does have a noble sentiment that the mount is standardised, like
the old K mount 35mm Pentaxes and even their earlier
thread mount.
Still totally with you on the idea of a compact body with compact fast prime
fitted. Also that the proof of the pudding is in the
printing. You can download sample pics from DPReview, for example if you
wish to run printing tests.

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics from your Leica D40X

Cheers
Hoppy