Subject: [Leica] Re: Olympus vs. Leica
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun Jul 22 01:58:43 2007

Mark, if sharpness in a huge print is everything then we should all be
shooting with medium format backs on tripod. I go to a lot of photo
exhibitions and very often the most compelling images would fail on that
score.

I, for one, chose the Olympus as my "light-travel" camera because it is
the smallest and lightest DSLR on the market and I had satisfied myself
that its quality was up to snuff. Even at the high ISOs I still get
better images than I did with film. And as for making a huge print--when
you shoot something at f1.4 and 1/30 sec. handheld, then I think you
have to limit your ambitions a bit anyway. I also liked the automatic
dust removal system and, frankly, I liked the idea that by buying
Olympus I was making a small contribution to the DSLR market not being
completely dominated by two companies. Call it rooting for the underdog.

As an added bonus, I can buy Leica lenses (or at least Leica-designed
Panasonic lenses) for the 4/3 system, and I can put my 100mm Apo Macro
on the Olympus if I wish, something that is impossible with the Nikon.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands