Subject: [Leica] xtol question
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Mon Jul 23 07:22:18 2007

The only problem I've ever had with Xtol were these
odd donut shaped areas of hyper-development, and it
was also Marty who put me on track to solving the
problem. He suggested some impurity was ionozing the
water, which made no sense to me because I was using
distilled.

However, I was diluting my stock-to-working solutions
in a 'stainless steel' beaker I got from Walmart that
wasn't really stainless (it has since developed rust
spots). I retired that vessel, and haven't had a
problem since. My stainless steel tanks don't cause
any issues.

After mixing the stock solution I store it in amber
boston round glass bottles, 250 & 500ml size, so they
are ready to go for a 1:3 mix in volumes for the 4 & 8
reel tanks. I've had it sit for as long as 7 months
with no problem.

I also store D-76 this way, but being a cheap bastard,
use plastic bottles of the same sizes that I got at
the drugstore. I bought a bunch of Hydrogen Peroxide,
poured it off and rinsed thoroughly. Much less
expensive than ordering glass.