Subject: [Leica] R lens question
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jul 24 10:08:39 2007

Doug Herr offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] R lens question

On Jul 24, 2007, at 11:07 AM, Ted Grant wrote:

> My preference is the 180 3.4 for some of
> the assignments because it's so incredibly sharp even wide open it
> blows
> away anything else

Doug responded:
>>Among the relatively affordable 180mm lenses this probably would be my
choice too, but keep in mind its limitations: older versions use Series 7.5
filters which can be hard to find, and the minimum focus distance is a bit
long.<<<

Hi Doug,
Glad to see we're in tune with this lens. However, given I rarely if ever
use filters that wasn't a consideration for me.

But the not close enough focus definitely was and became a problem on indoor
situations. So I solved the problem simply by purchasing a second 180 with a
2.8 aperture and closer focus ability.

Depending on what and where I was shooting determined which 180 I used.

ted