Subject: [Leica] R lens question
From: tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield)
Date: Tue Jul 24 10:52:40 2007

The only difference b/w the Series VII and E60 versions is the filter
thread, so if you can find the older one significantly cheaper and
don't mind using an adapter, you can save some $$.

The 135 doesn't have the apo-quality sharpness wide open, but focuses
closer and is a decent lens and is dirt cheap.  IIRC, the 135 is the
standard for the Leica color balance, which all other lenses are
matched to, for whatever that's worth.

IIRC, way back in the day, Leica advertised that the original 2x was
designed for the 135mm and 180mm (not that it doesn't also work well
with many other lenses), so it works very well with either.

I've owned both, but the 180 APO was my favorite by far!  To have an
excellent 360/6.8 with me as well for only the additional weight of
the 2x was great.

It's good to hear Ted's comments on the 80mm.  I've had my eye on one
available locally for a good price!  I hadn't though about using it
with the 2x.

Tom Schofield

Message from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] R lens question)