Subject: [Leica] Re: Birthday party
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Jul 25 09:08:09 2007

Today is my birthday. While I'm not the oldest member of the LUG, I'm
probably in the top 5%. In other words I still remember when the two
kilo 6 x 9 cm. Kodak Medalist was called a "miniature" and real
street photographers used Speed Graphics.

My family treated me to a picnic party with joke presents. One of my
gifts was a carefully wrapped roll of slightly outdated (8/04) T-Max
400 film which my wife discovered in the back of a drawer. My kids
insisted that I use it to film the festivities with that "old" Leica
I took their baby pictures with. That old Leica, a 1954 first edition
M3, had been sitting unused on a shelf in my equipment cabinet since
Sherry Krauter did a CLA on it six or seven years ago.

Now I've been using mostly plastic digital cameras for the past few
years and I've gotten accustomed to their light weight, auto focus
and auto exposure. My first observation at handling the M3 was "This
camera is HEAVY." The second observation was that during the period
of disuse, the camera's selenium cell Leicameter had died. I would
have to estimate the exposure by using the Sunny 16 rule. Obviously
both my muscles and photographic skills have atrophied over the years
since I was fully aware of the camera's handling peculiarities, its
weight, and the necessity to mentally calculate exposure. Twenty
years ago it all would have been done by reflex action.

Still, I enjoyed a return to the middle ages of photography. It took
a while to reactivate dormant skills but by the end of the party I
was clicking away like old times. I have a shelf of old classic 35 mm
cameras in reasonably good condition, a few Leica LTMs, another later
M3, a CL, and a pristine Contax IIa. There are a few carefully
wrapped bricks of film in my freezer. I doubt that I will reactivate
my wet darkroom for printing but I have a good scanner and a nearby
Kinkos that will produce high quality paper prints up to 24" x 36".

But before I return to the wonderful world of film photography, I'd
better schedule a few workouts at the weight room of the local gym.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Re: Birthday party)
Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Re: Birthday party)