Subject: [Leica] new scam that might affect the LUG
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Mon Jul 30 19:20:11 2007

Today some spammer in Belarus subscribed to the LUG and immediately sent a
spam message, which would have gotten though except that it contained one of
the keywords that I watch for to identify angry arguments quickly, so it was
referred to me for approval.

This is the first time in my long experience on the internet that a spammer
has done anything so technically sophisticated. I may be forced to increase
the complexity of subscribing by adding some robot detection, but there's
nothing I can do to prevent determined humans from this sort of activity.

Brian Reid
LUG Saloon Keeper
who might need a new bouncer soon

Replies: Reply from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] new scam that might affect the LUG)