Subject: [Leica] M8 Review
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Wed Aug 1 23:48:55 2007

--- Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hmmm.  I have much to learn.
>
> I was thinking of gadgetry in the Leica RF to sense
> at the image plane, the
> point of best sharpness, and indicating to the user
> that the lens was
> focused at the point of best sharpness.
>
> That point might be selected at where the RF patch
> would be pointed.

If it were to use the rangefinder windows it would
-have- to be where the rangefinder patch is, and
there's the rub. I am sure all Leica M users are used
to selecting which part of the image contained within
the rangefinder patch is the bit they wish to be in
focus and focussing accordingly. The af sensor would
not be able to do that - any more than it can on my
Canon in fact.