Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 review, M9 anticipation
From: lucien_vd at mac.com (lucien_vd@mac.com)
Date: Fri Aug 3 00:57:56 2007

  Lawrence Zeitlin wrote :

> Too bad Leica didn't adopt the same strategy with digital cameras
> that it did with many of its film models. For an affordable price
> the camera could be updated to a newer version. Imagine an M8 that
> could be converted to an M9 by simple replacement of a sensor model
> and software. The expensive mechanical and optical parts, chassis,
> viewfinder, rangefinder, and batteries would remain the same. The
> lenses haven't changed. Why should the camera be different?
> Updating digital Leicas might be a profitable business for an
> enterprising technician.

Lawrence,

I'm glad that Leica didn't adopt that strategy.

The sensor of the M8 is very good, but the rest of the hardware and
specially the electronic part of it could be improved.

I certainly don't want to pay to change the sensor in that camera.

I love it, but I don't trust it enough.

The M9 should be a totally new camera, with improved reliability and
better ergonomic.

A better viewfinder (frames accuracy and coverage) and improved
rangefinder also.

They should also do something about dust on the sensor.

The M8 is a (expensive) test camera, like the first M3's or the first
M6's and R4's.

They had to do it to learn about their mistakes.

Nothing beats real life users to test a new type of camera.

Lucien

Replies: Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Re: M8 review, M9 anticipation)