Subject: [Leica] Summarit press release
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Aug 4 04:40:41 2007

> Mark, I normally agree wit most things you say, but that's just wrong.
> Either that or you've never used a 24mm _ASPH_ Elmarit <grin>
>
> Steve

That was my first Aspherical and my first wide angle Leica M lens I got it
in November 1999!!
"A masterpiece of optical engineering" an x Lugger called it in a noted tome
and a landmark for Leica glass of the M system.

The beginning of the "new wave of Leica glass" marked by the fact that they
had ASPH elements in them and made at that time with a revolutionary
pressing method which made it cost not that much more than spherical Leica
glass.
Before when you wanted an aspherical version of a focal length you'd pay
twice more.

Now you got egg in your beer. And didn't have to pay for the egg.

More egglectic.

It sure blew the pants off a favorite optic of mine.
The 24mm Ai Nikkor one of my very first Lenes and most used.

When I got my first DSLR by the way the glass I got for it was a 24mm AF
current Nikkor. Digitally this translated to a 36mm lens.
I still go out zoom less sometimes with just that one lens.
For street shooting.

No doubt when I finally land a digital Leica M my 24 Asph Elmarit. will get
much use with the camera.

I bought Erwin's Lens compendium a few days ago at the Leica Gallery.
Now I'm an expert; even when my computer is optimizing or Tech Tooling.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com