Subject: [Leica] IMG: Was D-21; Is XB-70
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 7 17:04:08 2007

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 10:02:19 -0400, Lawrence Zeitlin
_lrzeitlin@optonline.net_ (mailto:lrzeitlin@optonline.net)  wrote:

"After you get done Googling the D-21, look up the B-70 to see a   really
futuristic large airplane. Built largely of stainless steel,  almost  as
long as
a football field, and looking like something out of  a science  fiction
movie,
it could cruise at Mach 3 for 5000 miles.  Aircraft  aficionados call it the
"most beautiful airplane ever made."  I have a bit  of nostalgia connected
with the B-70. I designed the CCM  system for it  nearly 50 years ago. It
was
obsoleted, along with the  B-58, by ICBMs. The  only remaining B-70 is in
the
Airforce Museum at  Wright-Dayton."

Hi Larry,

Thank you for the kind words.

The XB-70A Valkyrie has always been a favorite of mine, ever since I saw
films of it in its prime.  There's still a voice in the back of my mind
that
says the real reason the program was canceled was that it couldn't  survive
mid-air collision with an F-104!

This picture was taken in May 1977, when it was displayed outside at the
entrance to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patt.  It has since moved
indoors,
where it is not nearly as accessible for photographers.

_http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/North+American+XB-70A
+-+May_+1977.jpg.html_
(http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/North+American+XB-70A+-+May_+1977.jpg.html)

Tech Stuff: M4, 35mm 'cron, Kodacolor 64

If there's interest, I have additional transparencies that I can scan this
weekend.

Comments welcomed and appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ira Silverman