Subject: [Leica] Summarit press release
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Aug 7 22:01:14 2007

> OK this one is funny.....
>
> Leica goes on for 20 years making LTM lenses.  In 1953 they decide to go
> bayonet mount.  Great lenses but pricey.  Only real game in town.
> About 1995 Cosina gets the urge to re-invent the LTM, and issues really
> good
> but cheap lenses in LTM.  Later decides there really is a M market and
> re-issues in bayonet mount.
> 2007 Leica gets the urge to reintroduce the cheap lens and goes after
> Cosina
> FL, Price points, and Lens Speed.
> Back to square one.
>
> Irony is wonderful....
>
> PS: I don't think Zeiss did the designs for the Cosina lenses..... Am I
> wrong?
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net
>
> I think that all of these go head to head with the Zeiss designed Cosinas.
> flagship thing, maybe.
> Hoppy

Oh but I just read:

'The launch of the Leica Summarit-M family of lenses marks the return of
important Leica heritage elements. All letter and number engravings are made
with the traditional 'Leitz-Norm' font as originally used by Leitz Wetzlar
during the 1960s and the red button on the lens mount is now true to the
original Colour used on Leitz lenses produced since the introduction of the
M-mount through the 1960s.'

So I thought the Leica Lenes were invented in the 60's.

" as originally used by Leitz Wetzlar during the 1960s"

Whose ever running the show now thinks the big catharsis came in the 60s for
his view of the Leica look.
I think that's a matter of personal opinion.
I think the 50's 40's 30's and 20's all have something going for them style
wise, fabrics and fonts.

But here's the math
2007 - 1925 = 82 years of Leica cameras

82 / 2 = 41 years is half time show.

41 - 2007 = -1966 would be that year.

Which is the year I got my darkroom which had a Leica catalog in it.

But I think 60s I think Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton. (The Shrimp) Vidal
Sassoon and "The Bob".

I think the burgeoning Nikon F and the Hasselblad.

Leicas prime was the 50s.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com