Subject: [Leica] Summarit press release
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Aug 8 17:35:40 2007

Mark, Erwin says that the new "Summarits" are Summicron designs downsized.
Smaller maximum aperture means much much easier to reduce
aberrations. (read cheaper to make as well). I agree that they should be
viable choices for other reasons than cost, as well.

The current Summilux 50 asph is only related by name to the earlier version.
Lux = fast.
It sounds like the new Summarits are similarly only sharing a label with the
early 1.5 50.
Part of the raison d'?tre of the exotic and expensive technology (in the
asph designs) is how well it works wide open or nearly so.
No harder to focus at f2 or f5.6 than any other lens. I agree that you might
not use it wide open much of the time. Nice to have all
the same. For some folks it is worth it, for others an unwarranted expense.
Mine works better than my former Summicron in difficult
against the light situations. Specifically it gives superb clarity of colour
and tone within the shadows (no veiling glare, ever).
I regarded the current Summicron 50 as superbly accurate and sharp. I only
occasionally ran into unpredictable flare. I've had 8 or
10 of the Nikkor 50's over the years. They were sharp, maybe a little cool
in colour rendition. I think that they are ridiculously
cheap second hand and superb value. The current AF Thai production seems
just as sharp. It does not even remotely resemble the older
manual focus lens in build. I don't recall anguish about flare. Maybe having
the best Leica glass makes you push them more (and
appreciate the tools quality).

Cheers
Hoppy

I like my 50 Summicron....... better than my 1.4 ai Nikkor.
But not that much better than my 1.8 Nikkor which I paid 99.99 for made in
Thailand. But that lens is an exceptional phenomenon. Its on my camera now.
My D40x. Which is my at this point in time main ax.
That's right I'm shooting with a 99 dollar lens.
F 1.8 and be there.And loving it. A 75 as it translates to the DX crop
circle.

There have been many discussions on the LUG on how the 50 Summicron is a bit
long in the tooth. But were over shadowed by the longer in the tooth
Summilux. Which was remedied. With much over kill and over the top
technology with all kinds of mechanizations people have been having all
kinds of trouble with. Like focusing it.
Its no wonder a lower tech approach to other various issues is now being
considered.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com