Subject: [Leica] Summarit press release
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu Aug 9 00:10:39 2007

I have had Erwin's book since it was first published, and I
downloaded his MTF measurements from the net - I am sad that way. The
fact that the Summicron is old doesn't mean it can be easily
bettered. Most of the investment in lenses nowadays is in
manufacturing technology to make acceptable lenses at very low prices.
There has not been an update in the laws of physics and some of the
exotic glass types are now no longer available because they contained
additives that are no longer legal to use. If a good gain can be had
from aspherics or an improvement in close up performance from
floating elements perhaps an update is appropriate. Both would add to
the cost, particularly the floating element mechanism.
Erwin frequently uses the current 50mm summicron as the benchmark
against which he compares other lenses. It is almost never equalled.
Frank