Subject: [Leica] Re: The Leica brand
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Aug 13 05:54:11 2007

At 02:39 AM 8/13/2007, Mark Rabiner wrote:

 >The *t is in reference to the coating.
 >Which they invented with the help of Pentax.
 >Who called it Super Multi-coated Takumar I forgot.

Hush your mouth, boy, and tell the truth!  This
is EXCEEDINGLY old turf on the LUG.

The process is that of a vacuum-coating
technology for lens coatings.  Zeiss developed
this in 1935 thanks to Dr Alexander Smakula and
started cranking out commercial product using
this in 1937.  Wollensak and Kodak in the US and
Ross in the UK developed identical methods at the same time.

Multi-Coatings were a logical development but
took decades to perfect.  In the later 1960's,
when Zeiss was really desperate to quite making
photographic lenses and the Zeiss Foundation
wnted to both kill of Zeiss Ikon but still to
maintain a Zeiss presence in photography, there
was a four-year wooing of Zeiss by Asahi and of
Ashai by Zeiss.  In the end, the deal fell
through for reasons not germane to this
discussion but leaving both companies in control
of the multi-coating technology they had
developed in common and Asahi got the Zeiss-developed K-mount.

Who was first here on the marketplace will never
be known.  Zeiss started cranking out T*
scientific nad technical gear around 1969, and
Asahi but out its SMC gear around the same
time.  Go figure.  Both claim priority but we
probably will never know and, in the end, who
cares?  It is the historical record which is
important, not that of hysterical advertising hype.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: The Leica brand)