Subject: [Leica] XB-70 and B-58 and?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Aug 14 07:35:22 2007

At 12:28 AM 8/14/2007, Adam Bridge wrote:
 >I desperately wish I could have seen a B-58 in the air. After I was
 >old enough to drive I'd go down to the Air Force Museum at Wright
 >Patterson. At that time, before the new museum was built, the aircraft
 >sat outside. B-70, B-58, a great hulking B-36, B-47 and all the WWII
 >birds. I was always a lover of the big delta-winged fighters. The
 >Century-Series fighters were the shapes of my youth.

When I was three we lived in the City of Lost
Angles.  One day, my father took the dog for a
walk and I went along.  There was a heavy
rumbling in the distance and Dad stopped to look
up.  I did to:  overhead flew a flight of six
B-36D's with those "six turnin' and four
burnin'".  Dad, who began his flight instruction
in biplanes, just grinned.  Later, when I was in
Pittsburgh, I got to see B-58's flying overhead,
and impressive it was.  Then we moved West again,
though to the Bay Area and lived in northern
Marin County in Novato, just outside what was
then Hamilton AFB.  The F-106's from Air Defense
Command used to come in and drop subsonic over
Novato, just to make the windows rattle a
bit.  They did this 24/7 but you got used to it after a while.

Hell, I saw the very last performance Barnum &
Bailey ever did under the Big Top and I met Sir
Alan Villiers and spoke with a bunch of German
and Russian WWI Vets and shook Barry Goldwater's
hand but NOTHING impacted my youth like those
B-36's.  Peacemakers they were called, and
Peacemakers they were:  one of the very few
mainline US bombers never to have dropped a bomb in anger.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka) ([Leica] XB-70 and B-58 and?)