Subject: [Leica] Re: XB-70 and B-58 and?
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 20:20:53 2007

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:54:50 -0400, From: Marc James Small
_marcsmall@comcast.net_ (mailto:marcsmall@comcast.net)  wrote:

"When I was three we lived in the City of Lost Angles.  One day, my  father
took the dog for a walk and I went along.  There was a heavy  rumbling in
the
distance and Dad stopped to look up.  I did to:   overhead flew a flight of
six
B-36D's with those "six turnin' and four  burnin'".  Dad, who began his
flight instruction in biplanes, just  grinned.  Later, when I was in
Pittsburgh, I
got to see B-58's flying  overhead, and impressive it was.  Then we moved
West
again, though to the  Bay Area and lived in northern Marin County in Novato,
just outside what was  then Hamilton AFB.  The F-106's from Air Defense
Command used to come in  and drop subsonic over Novato, just to make the
windows
rattle a bit.  They  did this 24/7 but you got used to it after a while."

Living in New York,  I never had the opportunity to see a B-36, B-58 or
XB-70
in flight, although in  the years since I have seen and heard both B-52's
and
SR-71's at low  altitude.  They are loud, but...

When I was about 12, I was with my father making a service call on Long
Island, and we were driving up Route 110 in Farmingdale when the ground
began to
vibrate, and a sound that could only be described as apocalyptic erupted.
combination of low frequency rumble and high frequency whine that was just
plane, incredibly LOUD.  We looked up to see two Republic F-105D
Thunderchiefs
that had just taken off in full afterburner from Republic airport,  and
which
passed over us at an altitude of maybe 50 feet.  We pulled off to  the side
of
the road, waiting first for the ground and then  for ourselves to stop
shaking before continuing.

To this day, I've never heard a sound quite like that.

Best Regards,

Ira Silverman
Irvine, CA

at