Subject: [Leica] Re: XB-70 and B-58 and?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Aug 14 21:07:13 2007

At 11:20 PM 8/14/2007, ISILVERMN@aol.com wrote:

 >When I was about 12, I was with my father making a service call on Long
 >Island, and we were driving up Route 110 in Farmingdale when the
 >ground began to
 >vibrate, and a sound that could only be
described as apocalyptic erupted.   A
 >combination of low frequency rumble and high frequency whine that was just
 >plane, incredibly LOUD.  We looked up to see two Republic F-105D
 >Thunderchiefs
 >that had just taken off in full afterburner
from Republic airport,  and which
 >passed over us at an altitude of maybe 50
feet.  We pulled off to  the side of
 >the road, waiting first for the ground and then  for ourselves to stop
 >shaking before continuing.
 >
 >To this day, I've never heard a sound quite like that.

The F-105 was much loved by pilots and ground
crew.  In the Viet-Nam era, it earned the
affectionate nickname of "the Thud" because of its size and sound.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!