Subject: [Leica] Viso III
From: andersonfe at msn.com (ferrel anderson)
Date: Thu Aug 16 12:58:03 2007

There is a big difference in the performance of the chrome and later black
65mm Elmar lenses.  The chrome version is a low contrast lens that gives a
pastel like performance that is charming in a way.  The black Elmar is a
high contrast lens with much improved resolution.  It is one of my favorite
lenses, and is great on the viso or R bellows.  The performance on the edges
is not the best at infinity, but the lens is designed for close-up work, and
is a delight in this range.  Erwin Putz does not consider either of these
lenses as being exceptional performers, and makes a comment that the Elmar
design is not optimum for macro work.  I don't agree with him on this in
regard to the performance of the black version.  I might also add that the
100mm f4 macro Elmer for the Leica R series cameras is also a classical
Elmar design, and it performs quite well both in near and far distances.

Ferrel Anderson

Replies: Reply from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] Viso III, Black 65 image examples)