Subject: [Leica] Street photography etc.
From: cif at halcyon.com (Larry Bullis)
Date: Sun Aug 19 20:35:55 2007

I just today joined this list.  Began using Leicas in 1975; used
professionally as a photojournalist for twenty years or so but now I'm
mostly teaching.  Just bought a new old Leica though, and found the
list.  As chance would have it, several topics I see interest me so let
me throw in my 17cents.

For something like 14 years (lost count) I freelanced regularly for a
magazine which required frequent shooting of community events where I
would show up anonymously and just shoot, without revealing (usually)
why I was there or that it was for publication.  At first this was a bit
difficult because I was somewhat self conscious, but soon, I learned to
work openly as a part of the scene and it seemed that I could shoot for
about four hours or so with no one even noticing me.  Then I discovered
that I could even say "Would you mind doing that again for me?" and they
would just do it, without hamming, without smiling.  They would just do
it, usually without even asking me why I wanted that.  When I got in
trouble (this was rare, but occasionally happened) was when I lost my
confidence.  Once, in particular, was when I positioned myself to
capture a bicyclist coming around a curve.  My mistake was that there
was a bush on the inside of the curve and he couldn't see me.  I thought
he was going to punch me out.  When he came around the curve, surprised
by me aiming a camera at him, he nearly lost control of the bike, and
there was a very unpleasant interpersonal interaction which resulted in
my telling him I would take a punch and punch his face right out of the
negative, so he didn't have to worry about appearing in print.  This
sort of thing only happened twice, if I recall correctly, and both times
the subject nearly lost his balance; really distinctive response,
entirely different from the usual.  When one is operating right, it is
so natural that anyone not accepting of one's presence is dealing with
paranoia on some scale.  The way one moves, one's confidence, the
equipment one carries which identifies one as being qualified to do the
job; it all figures in and adds up to confidence on the part of the
players on the field.  If anything is missing, the red flag goes up.
Red flag, hell.  Dynamite.

It has been interesting lately because I haven't been doing this for
quite a while.  I was very good at it, but if I try do it now (once in a
while I do, usually as an experiment because I'm not being paid for it
and cash is short), I don't have the same confidence.  Yes, I can get it
back in a fairly short time, but I have to shoot a few rolls and get
into the stride and it is NOT comfortable until I can accept myself in
that roll.  It's chops,  Just like music.  You have to do it all the
time, you have to do a lot of it, or you just plain ain't doing it.  It
is not a matter of sneaking.  It is like a professional thief.  Show up
when your victims are on vacation.  Show up in a Mayflower moving van.
Wear coveralls, and use a hand truck.  Remove all of their possessions.
When they get back, the neighbors are going to tell them that it seemed
like they had just forgotten to tell everyone that they were moving.
Look the part, act the part, do the job, and it is all right.