Subject: [Leica] lens prices..... 35 lux
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon Aug 20 04:09:40 2007

The "aspherical" was made in small numbers. It has 2 aspherical
elements which had to be ground by hand to a profile which deviated
from spherical by a tiny amount. The scrap rate of these hand made
elements was reported to be high and far fewer are thought to be made
than the 2000 which had been planned.
The "ashp" was a new design using one aspherical element manufactured
by a hot pressing process where a super accurate aspherically
surfaced die is pressed against the heated glass imprinting the
aspherical profile onto it. This is a MUCH less expensive process and
allowed the lens to go into normal production.
Several other lenses were subsequently updated to include hot pressed
aspherical elements. The size of the elements which can be produced
by this process is limited, I don't know whether by stress or load
levels or accuracy. This limits its use mainly to the smaller
diameter elements in wide angle and zoom lenses. Nowadays grinding
aspherical elements using CNC machines is feasible so it is not such
an expensive process any more. AFAIK the only current Leica lens
using a ground aspherical element is the 90mm f2 - someone will
surely correct me if I am mistaken.
The original Noctilux, an f1.2 design, also used 2 hand ground
aspherical elements and was made in tiny quantities also.
I own a 35mm aspherical and it is the finest lens I have ever used.
It was the main reason I bought an Epson RD1 and then a M8!
Frank