Subject: [Leica] I can't print my petunias!!
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue Aug 21 18:04:04 2007

Bob Shaw:  M8, 35/1.4 Asph, I believe at f/4, 1/250th, ISO 320. Cloudy
daylight, during a period when wasn't raining on Sunday.

Thanks to everyone who commented.  I was attracted to the vibrant colors,
and wondered whether they would reproduce on paper.  I had a feeling they
might be out of gamut.

On my screen, which is calibrated, the colors are pretty true to life. Now
that the prints have dried for a day, they are closer to reality than
before.  But they are still more red-pink than vibrant violet.  As someone
predicted, the R1800 is closer to reality than the R200.  What's really
amusing is that where the flowers have started to fade (e.g. left edge of
picture), the color prints properly.

All this reminds me why I love B&W so much.  :-)  :-)

Looks like Adobe RGB may be in my future, regardless of what Ken
Rockwell says.
http://kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm
http://kenrockwell.com/tech/color-management/is-for-wimps.htm

Back in my pre-scanning film days I shot mostly two films:  Tri-X and
Kodachrome 64.  I would do all manner of darkroom stuff to the Tri-X
images, including dodging, burning, and local bleaching of prints with
potassium ferricyanide (the orange stuff).  Color I left to Kodak and
their precision nitrogen burst agitation and +/- one half degree
temperature control, courtesy of "God and Man" (Godowsky and Mannes).

--Peter