Subject: [Leica] Directions
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri Aug 24 00:22:59 2007

Tina:

I'm going to answer your questions with more questions:

* What is the purpose of your photography?

* Are there some common threads in your photographs, themes that keep
popping up?  Do you know what they are?  Do you know why you are drawn to
them?

* If you had to stop shooting tomorrow, what would you be most proud of,
and what would you regret most not doing?

* Do you have to make X dollars per year from your photography?  Who says?

* What do you like most about your photographic life so far?  What do you
dislike the most?  Is there a way to do mostly the former and less of the
latter?

* Suppose there was no choice #3, (muddle along alternating between new
pictures/stock/travel and working with your negatives).  You have to choose
between #1 and #2.  Would either make you happier?  Or would either make
you miserable?  Why?  Now, put choice #3 back in the picture again.  Do you
feel incredibly relieved?  That tells you something.

You don't have to answer any of these questions here, but answer them for
yourself.  It might tell you what you want.  Write it down, it helps.

Remember, artists and engineers operate from a completely different
basis.  Your husband may want everything to make sense.  You know it
doesn't. :-)   The fun and beauty is in exploring how and why it doesn't
always make sense.  Your photographic business may be simply an excuse for
you to be able to photograph, for you.  Your husband may want to
"straighten things out," make it more orderly, more profitable.   I suspect
it will always drive him a little crazy.  He'll probably enjoy it, if you
can get him to understand what it's really about.

Personally, I think that you have a legacy of work showing the brotherhood
and sisterhood of humanity across cultures.  That's what's always struck me
about your photos. It's not just pictures of poor or hungry people.  It's
not been only about getting people to donate to this or that cause.  It's
been about the beauty of being part of the human family.

There's a book or two or three in that, and IMHO it would be a shame if
they didn't happen somehow.  But will you be content to be a shut-in with
your negs?  Maybe not.  I think travel stimulates you.  Maybe you need to
alternate by month or by season for a while and see how it feels.  And at
some point you'll say to yourself, "You know, I'm tired of running around
so much," or, "While I can, I'm going to get out there and see new things."

Maybe you need to collaborate with an editor.  He or she might see patterns
in your work that you don't, and that could be the basis of a book. Or
stimulate a related but fresh line of shooting.

Hope this is helpful.

-Peter

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Directions)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Directions)