Subject: [Leica] I can't print my petunias!!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Aug 22 10:22:53 2007

> At 12:56 PM 8/22/2007, you wrote:
>
>> Also it sounds like this "other" thing that you're obviously never going
>> do. Who here makes a "soft proof"? I bet nobody.
>> On a partial piece of paper maybe?
>> I don't see it.
>>
>> Mark William Rabiner
>
> Usually soft proofing means using the monitor to simulate what the
> print will look like by using the Proof Setting profiles.  If your
> monitor is calibrated and you use the right profile, the monitor
> should show you what the print will look like.  You can "soft proof"
> an RGB file to see what it would look like printed on a CMYK
> press.  You don't actually change the values in the file, you just
> assign a profile to see what it will look like - a soft proof.  A
> hard proof would be one you can hold in your hand - a print.
>
> Tina
>
> Tina Manley
> ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI
> http://www.tinamanley.com

That makes more sense thanks.
As one piece of paper is just as "hard" as another piece.
Both just as real.
I've done that soft proof thing in Photoshop.

The monitor INDICATES the changes which would be made to the image when
converted to another form. CMYK

But then when you do actually make that conversion you can compare the print
to the screen and see how close it actually came. Which may be real close.
But my only point is its a screen not a print.
The print shows  you what a print is going to look like the best.
Because it is itself.
And needs no interpretation nor interpolation.

 Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com