Subject: [Leica] OT Epson P5000
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Aug 22 12:26:38 2007

> It's good to know that the herd mentality is working in areas other
> than the stock and mortgage markets! :)
>
> I wonder if two issues aren't in play here: comfort zone and software.
> If you're using a RIP like ImagePrint then to change to either another
> RIP or repurchase a new version for the new printer looks awfully
> expensive and you'd better see a darn good improvement on print
> quality/productiving in order to justify the expenditure. Sorta the
> Windows to Mac issues. Plus all the workarounds for the existing
> Epsons are known / understood while the HP or Canon would be a
> substantial learning curve.
>
> Still, I find the "everyone who's serious is only using Epson" (given
> the massive defect in Epson's design - the lack of both photo black
> and matte black inks available at the same time in their large format
> printers) hasn't seen the new HP's much less printed on them. HP
> doesn't make it easy to find vendors selling them, though. Geesh. Talk
> about lack of sophistication!
>
> Adam

As far as sophistication goes there is no need for photo black all printing
is done on fine art papers which are all matt. All done with the matt ink.
Glossy or semi gloss is for wedding photographers.
Emulating "real" photographs.

We don't want to emulate anything.
We have no apologies to make.
We want to do what we are doing.
The Inkjet process.

They are making archival claims for dye printing now Epson is wanting to get
into that and not give Canon that market share which may not be
infinitesimal. I'm not sure if its true or not but I smell a rat and I
suspect everyone else does. That papers are not archival who cares if the
inks are?
I'm sticking to pigment.
Pig headed of me I know.

I guess I'm a swine lover