Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Aug 29 18:41:00 2007

At 09:28 PM 8/29/2007, you wrote:
>Citing the inadequacies of mechanical Leicas does not make the M8
>more reliable. It just points out that in recent times the troubled
>Leica company had neither the funds or resources to adequately test
>its cameras before releasing them to the market. The assertion that
>the M8 has the best image quality of any $4750 camera is totally
>unsupported by pictures posted on the LUG. Aside form the fact that
>it is difficult to judge the nuances of image quality from a computer
>screen, the photos don't appear to be superior to those taken with
>film cameras using the same or equivalent glass. Tell the truth Ted,
>Tina, and Sonny. Are your pictures any better now than they were when
>you used old fashioned film?

As far as I'm concerned, yes.  The M8 has more resolution, less
grain, and more dynamic range than any film camera I've used.  But,
more important that that, because there is no penalty of film
expense, consideration for developing later, carrying of film, etc.
etc.  I am much more likely to take many more photos; therefore, the
percentage of good photos goes way up.  I'm more willing to
experiment and take chances when I'm not paying for film and
developing.  I can look at the results immediately and see if I need
to adjust anything.  The best part of all of this is that I can use
my M lenses and a camera that is closer to my M6's and 7's than any
other camera.  I love my M8.  It is the best thing since sliced
bread.  Absolutely no question about it for me.  If you don't have
one, you have no idea.

I have and work with some of the best rated digital cameras - the
Canon 1DMII and 5D.  I prefer the M8 - not just because it's smaller
and easier to carry,  but because the photos are better.  You say
that Leica doesn't have the resources to test its cameras but I would
suspect that Leica has had a smaller percentage of problems than the
other camera makers.  You just don't hear about them.

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI
http://www.tinamanley.com