Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu Aug 30 08:50:26 2007

Larry,
I agree with you that any criticism of Leica is generally shouted down here.
I have stayed out of these M8 discussions after the roasting I received on
this list for giving my personal opinion when the M8 was released, not even
on the camera, but the pricing as a value for money option.

Since then, I have received prints of photographs shot with the M8 in the
print exchanges I take part in. They are good, but the shots taken with sub
US$1000 Nikon/Canon cameras are equally good, in fact I cannot see any major
differences, or great additional detail. Please note that I am talking about
physical prints, not JPGs or RAW files on a monitor, so the printer's art
comes in as well. But surely a print is the end product that we aim for.

I have Doug's prints taken with the Leicaflex, as well as the DMR. I took
them out this morning and looked at them in detail, and each is as good as
the other.

A Digital M is probably in my future, but I will wait. As of now Nikon is
delivering products that I want, at price points which are very competitive,
and the D3 specs looks fantastic, so thats maybe the next one if the specs
bear out....

Cheers
Jayanand