Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Aug 30 13:51:47 2007

I keep thinking that you want a particular answer and are disgruntled
when you don't get it, Lawrence.

I've been using an M8 now since January. The software upgrades have
worked well for me. The filters do their jobs. The camera just works.
I carry it EVERYWHERE now, usually in a back pack or fanny park or
some such. It isn't treated with especial care.

It clearly is THE camera of choice for me. Looking back over the year
I see that it has shot more than twice as many frames as my 1Ds MK II,
almost three times as many. Yes, some of that is form factor, but the
underlying reality is that I LIKE working with a rangefinder camera
and it shows in the images that I have been making with it.

The more I use it, the more I understand what it can do and what it cannot.

I cannot say that it's better than medium format film -- I've never
used medium format film. But it's better than any other digital camera
save the 1Ds MKII whose low-light capability is extraordinary. But
that camera has size/weight issues and the lenses are VAST. I can
carry all my M8 lenses in a single small bag, even when one of them is
a Noctilux.

I have never missed a shot because of an M8 camera malfunction or
because the battery was dead. Once I did because I had off-loaded
images but hadn't completed the process of erasing the memory card
after I had two copies of my DNG files out on different machines. My
fault. Like running out of film. It was a simple matter to delete the
images though and I was only a little miffed by the experience.

In summary I find the camera to be rugged, well designed, intuitive to
operate, and a pleasure to use. I like the images it makes. If I had
other feelings about the camera I wouldn't hesitate to voice them
here.

Adam Bridge