Subject: [Leica] Re: Methane
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Aug 30 14:25:33 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 3:12 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Four HUNDRED litres per day?
>
>   Like the ads say: eat mor chiken
>

> geebee <geebee@geebeephoto.com> wrote:
>   60% of all fish caught is processed into fishmeal to feed them
> making them the biggest ocean predator. Just one of them gives off
> enough harmful methane gas in a single day to fill around 400 litre
> bottles. That's 18% of the total greenhouse gases per annum.
> More greenhouse gas emissions than all the transport on earth ?
> planes, trains and cars.

I understand that the gasses from chicken droppings were collected
and used to fuel cars in the UK during WW2. If some clever
businessman can figure out a way to collect and market the steer's
methane output it may well be the answer to the energy crisis. We
could substitute cow power for horsepower.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Re: Methane)
Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Re: Methane)