Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Aug 30 22:33:32 2007

> Which segues nicely to the speculation rife on the Leica User Forum.
> Mmmmm, full format 12MP or 16MP sensor common to a new M and a new R. aaah
> delicious speculation.
>
> Quoting a translation from an interview with Herr Doktor Andreas Kaufmann.
> I've removed the German quotes for brevity.
> "...from within a longer comment:
> Quote:
> - The center will remain the M, but there will only be 12,000 units per
> year.
> (He doesn't differentiate between M7 and M8.)
>
> Will there be an M9?
> Quote:
> - You're asking for an announcement that we haven't made yet. If you
> continue
> counting, it would be the logical next step. As
> official statement I can't say anything. But imagine this: if you were a
> Leica
> developer and you found a way - I'm using the
> Speculative - to fit a Full-Format sensor, and the crop-factor drops off,
> then
> you'd do it, wouldn't you?
>
> So what about the R-line?
> Quote:
> The R-line is currently effectively shuttered. For the following reason:
> the
> motherboard does not comply with EU-regulations. We
> would have had to reconstruct the entire R9 motherboard for an analog
> camera,
> that functions hybrid-digitally.
>
> So will there be something new soon?
> Quote:
> The logical next step would be the R9 followed by the R10. Of course we
> have a
> clear commitment to SLR-Cameras. I'm personally of
> the opinion that one photographs better with an M, but the market has
> decided
> otherwise. Apart from that the R-lenses are de facto
> some of the best in the world."
>

> Here's the interview if you speak German or would like to try your luck
> with
> Babelfish.
> <http://www.echoonline.at/echo/salzburg/index.php?we_objectID=3330>
>
> Cheers
> Hoppy

His non recognition of what a phenomenon the DSLR is to today's photography
is very Leica like historically. And Tragic for the Leica company and its
beneficiaries. Meaning the people who normally like to use the product.
Namely me. And I don't own any other metaphoric stock in the company nor
monetary.

Like not coming out with an SLR in the early to mid 60's and then when
finally coming out with one having it be non TTL metered.

Motherboard?!?!? What the heck is he talking about some personal issue?
Lets leave mom out of it.

But with both Canon AND Nikon shooting 24x36 or close to it digital with
live screen viewing that bit of writing is now on the wall.
Its what we wait for from Leica. If Leica is up to this challenge and with a
little luck and sweat and a night shift it could pull it off it bring itself
out of being a niche of a niche product.
And into the mainstream niche!

And what we want from Germany.
For the Nietzsche market!

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least
once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at
least one laugh.
Friedrich Nietzsche

In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.
Friedrich Nietzsche

All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com