Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Aug 30 21:11:33 2007

Which segues nicely to the speculation rife on the Leica User Forum.
Mmmmm, full format 12MP or 16MP sensor common to a new M and a new R. aaah
delicious speculation.

Quoting a translation from an interview with Herr Doktor Andreas Kaufmann.
I've removed the German quotes for brevity.
"...from within a longer comment:
Quote:
- The center will remain the M, but there will only be 12,000 units per
year. (He doesn't differentiate between M7 and M8.)

Will there be an M9?
Quote:
- You're asking for an announcement that we haven't made yet. If you
continue counting, it would be the logical next step. As
official statement I can't say anything. But imagine this: if you were a
Leica developer and you found a way - I'm using the
Speculative - to fit a Full-Format sensor, and the crop-factor drops off,
then you'd do it, wouldn't you?

So what about the R-line?
Quote:
The R-line is currently effectively shuttered. For the following reason: the
motherboard does not comply with EU-regulations. We
would have had to reconstruct the entire R9 motherboard for an analog
camera, that functions hybrid-digitally.

So will there be something new soon?
Quote:
The logical next step would be the R9 followed by the R10. Of course we have
a clear commitment to SLR-Cameras. I'm personally of
the opinion that one photographs better with an M, but the market has
decided otherwise. Apart from that the R-lenses are de facto
some of the best in the world."

Here's the interview if you speak German or would like to try your luck with
Babelfish.
<http://www.echoonline.at/echo/salzburg/index.php?we_objectID=3330>

Cheers
Hoppy