Subject: [Leica] Migrating to M8: What's Really Necessary?
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Fri Aug 31 16:51:50 2007

Len, here are my 2 cents:

1) Which of my lenses MUST be six-bit coded?
You can do this yourself with a black marker.  I coded all my lenses, except
the 135mm for which I could not find a code.
(1) If you want the camera firmware to do its color magic with the IR cut
filter this is a good thing.
(2) It is also good for focal lengths at 28mm and smaller; you can see the
vignetting removed.
(3)  If you are using the SF flash the camera will internally estimate the
f/stop being used and use it to set the flash exposure.  That estimate is
not recorded, however, in EXIF.
(4)  It is nice if you want to see the focal length record in EXIF.

I also had two misbehaving lenses; those I sent to Leica. For an extra $50
when they do the coding they will service and warranty the lens.

2) Is there a reputable source other than Leica USA for this service?
No

3) In order to mitigate focus shift issues, should my lenses also be
recalibrated at the same time they're coded?
Wait and see if you have a problem.  Unless you have a Noctilux or Summilux
you might not see a problem.  They will need the camera.

4) In order to recalibrate lenses properly, do the technicians need to have
my M6/7/8 bodies at hand?
I have not heard of anyone sending back the M6 or M7; just the M8.

I was very successful doing the focus adjustment myself.  It is not so hard.
I intend to post the process to the new Leica wiki.

5) Are IR cut filters in the necessary ring diameters readily available now
from Leica?
You can use B+W filters, and they are cheaper.

Regards,
Bob Rose

Replies: Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) (do it yourself back-focus adjustment..." WAS RE: [Leica] Migrating to M8: What's Really Necessary?)